Any topic (writer’s choice)
Answer the questions
1. According to Martin, how does the process of essentializing work through the projection of an essence, labeling, attaching characteristics, and defining social roles? Discuss a religious and non-religious example.
2. What is group bias, according to Martin? How does it foster in-group behavior? Discuss at least one example.
3. How, according to Martin, how is socialization internalized? How does this internalization reinforce social positions and roles? Discuss at least one example.
4. According to Martin, what key elements do all social groups share? Make sure to discuss, not just list, these.
5. What is naturalization, according to Martin? How does naturalization function in terms of domination and social reproduction?
6. What is meritocracy, according to Martin? Why does Martin suggest that meritocracy is largely a myth?
7. What is habitus, according to Martin? How is habitus linked to class differences in society, and how does it reinforce what is considered “normal”? Discuss at least one example.
8. What is the relationship between habitus and religion, according to Martin? Discuss at least one example.