COM 337 Individual Project#1 ELM
Part 1: Essay (100 points)
Format Requirement: 2-3 pages, double-spaced, 12-pt font, Times New Roman, 1-inch
Prepare a short paper to address the following questions:
1. What is central route processing? What is peripheral route processing? Which
route do you believe that can lead to more enduring attitude change? Why?
2. Describe an ad or campaign message you have seen recently. Does it contain any
sensitivity to central or peripheral cues? If so, did these cues facilitate your
3. Do two process routes often co-occur? Alternatively, do they dominate the
cognitive pathway at different time points? Use examples based on your
experience to support your argument.
Part 2: Individual Presentation (100 points)
Each individual need to prepare a 5-minute presentation. Points will be deducted for a
presentation that is too short.
It is important to avoid repeating content covered in lecture.
Try to explain your ideas in detail in your presentation recording and avoid writing
everything down on your PowerPoint Slides. Feel free to use any prop or any audio and
visual material to illustrate your idea. Be creative!
The PowerPoint slides and your presentation recording need to be recorded together.
Recommended presentation recording software: PowerPoint, Panopto, Zoom, etc.
Design or find TWO posters or videos that highlight either central cues or peripheral
cues to promote the SAME issue (e.g., product, idea, behavior).
1. Comparatively analyze these two posters/videos, and describe what cues are
more salient in each poster/video.
2. Describe who the target audience of each poster/video are.
3. How do audience characteristics and the central/peripheral cues in each
video/poster together influence peoples message elaboration?