GUIDELINES FOR ESSAY 2 (APA Style)
Please submit your final copy of Essay 2 here. Make sure to review the essay grading rubric (click the 3 dots in the upper right corner, then click “Show Rubric”).
I am copying the Guidelines for this essay here just in case you may not have read them over in a while.
The one major difference between Essay 2 and Essay 1 is that Essay 2 uses the APA Style. Please see all of the following files in this sub-module to learn all you need to know about the APA Style of formatting and documentation.
1. Incorporate at least 5 reputable sources into your general essay.
2. Use a variety of sources (at least 3 types). Choose from the following types of sources:
Online databases (Ebsco, SIRS, Infobase, CQ Researcher)
Reputable Online Source from Google Scholar.Here’s the link to Google Scholar (Links to an external site.). Don’t just do a regular Google search! This is better.
You can check Pew Research too. Here is a link to Pew Research (Links to an external site.).
Recent books and pamphlets
You will be graded on your use of a variety of these types of sources. Using ONLY websites is NOT an option. Make sure your sources support your specific points and do not simply touch on your broad topic in general. The research sources are used to enhance and strengthen your arguments and explanations.
ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING RECENT SOURCES (NO MORE THAN 3-5 YEARS OLD OR ONE YEAR FOR STATS) THAT SPECIFICALLY DISCUSS THE SUBTOPICS IN YOUR ESSAY. IF YOU FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE DOING IN CHINA, WE DON’T CARE (UNLESS YOUR ORIGINAL ESSAY MENTIONED CHINA).
3. Use at least one direct quote, one summary, and one paraphrase in your essay. Direct quoting should be reserved for statistics or a unique quote from an expert.
4. While adding sources, constantly review the Power Point on Incorporating Sources. It’s a VERY helpful resource.
5. Self-edit using the Self-Editing Guide for Essay 1 (With Research) located in this module.
6. After youve edited your own paper, fix as many mistakes as you can.
7. Then in class, have me take a glance at your paper.
8. After I give you advice, revise your mistakes and submit your final copy to Canvas. Make sure to submit as a doc, docx, pdf, or rtf file (no .pages).
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT AN ESSAY WITH LESS THAN FOUR WHOLE PAGES (THE WORKS CITED PAGE DOES NOT COUNT), OR BETTER YET, ON TO THE FIFTH PAGE.
IF YOU SUBMIT A PAPER THAT IS LESS THAN 4 WHOLE PAGES OR USES FEWER THAN FIVE SOURCES, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY CREDIT FOR YOUR WORK. PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK!