Hispanic Consumers Essay
Hispanic Consumers Essay
For this assignment, you will prepare a short paper (2 page minimum, 3 page maximum) reporting the results of at least three interviews with Hispanic consumers (the three individuals you identified last week) of different age groups and countries of origin. Please note that the 2-3 pages of your paper do not include the background page on your interviewees. Based on the findings of your interviews, your paper should cover the following:
- What makes US Hispanics different from others in our society?
- What are values and beliefs that characterize Hispanics?
- What habits, behaviors, and external manifestations of culture characterize US Hispanics?
- What makes advertising better when targeting Hispanics?
Please note that there is a difference between "research questions" such as those above, and "interview questions" that you will actually ask your interviewees. You can't, for example, ask someone "What habits, behaviors, and external manifestations of culture characterize U.S. Hispanics?" and expect them to be able to give you an insightful response.
Your job as a researcher is to find a way to interview and ask questions that allow your respondents to answer in an insightful way. You might need to try a few questions and begin to probe when you hear something you think is interesting. For example, in the question above, you might begin by asking, "Tell me about some of your family's habits" or "Tell me about some of your habits." You can then delve deeper by asking, "Do you think non-Hispanics have similar habits?" or "Do you think that any of these actions are unique to Hispanics?"
Remember: You must answer each question based on your analysis of the responses from all of your interviewees. In other words do not answer one question based on the response of just one interviewee; rather, craft your answer based on a synthesis of your collective findings. It might also be helpful for you to answer each question with a summary and use direct quotes to substantiate your answer.
Also, remember that in this, and EVERY assignment you complete, your analysis, conclusions, and marketer implications are the most important part of the assignment. Make sure to conclude your assignment with an analysis of what you found, and how it can be useful for marketers.
This will be the grading scale for assignment 2:
- Question 1 (20 points)
- Question 2 (20 points)
- Question 3 (20 points)
- Question 4 (20 points)
- Grammar (10 Points)
- Clarity, Formatting, and Organization (10 points) – See below for formatting requirements
To receive full credit for the assignment, you need to have at least three interviews. There will be a letter grade reduction for each missing interview. Not having any interviews will result in a zero for the assignment.
Make sure your name is on the cover page of your paper. Cover pages should be in APA format. Points will be deducted if your name is not on your assignment and if the cover is not in APA format.
For formatting help, the Writing Center is an excellent resource.
The first page of your assignment will focus on a background of your interviewees. As mentioned above, this background page does not counttoward the 2-3 page requirement for your assignment. The following information must be included:
- Country of origin
When formatting your paper, please do the following:
- Font: 12 point Times New Roman
- Microsoft Word document (*.doc, *.docx file types ONLY)
- Margins: 1 inch top, bottom, left, and right
- Spacing: Double-spaced (not 2.1, 2.2…)
- No additional spacing between paragraphs (this can be set with the Paragraph button in Word and removing the space before and after paragraphs).
- No obvious additional spacing just to reach the two-page minimum
- A separate page that provides an overview of the interviewees (details listed above)
- A minimum of two pages for the analysis portion of the assignment
- No more than three pages for the analysis portion of the assignment
In addition, failure to reach the two page minimum will result in a grade that reflects what you have submitted. For example, 1.5 pages out of 2 pages can only earn a maximum of 75%, which is before the actual grading of the assignment. There is a three-page maximum for this assignment.