Qualitative and Quantitative Critical analysis
Prepare this assignment as a 1,500-1,750 word critical analysis of the qualitative and quantitative article reviews completed.
How does repositioning or turning the patient with decreased mobility at frequent intervals as compared to not repositioning or turning reduce the development of pressure ulcers over a 90-day period?
Summary of Clinical Issue: Pressure ulcers among patients with decreased mobility is becoming an increased problem in healthcare. Pressure ulcers occur when pressure is applied to one area for long periods of time causing the skin and tissue to be unable to profuse sufficiently. By turning patients frequently, we can help eliminate the pressure one each area for short periods of time allowing for adequate profusion to the area. Patients with decreased mobility are at a higher risk due to their inability to turn themselves when the tissue starts to become injured. Pressure ulcers are staged from 1 (least serious) to Unstageable (most serious). Proper nutrition, incontinent care and frequent turning can all aid in the prevention of pressure injuries. The estimated cost to treat one pressure injury is approximately $70,000, and in the United States alone the yearly cost is coming to approximately $11 Billion. Pressure injuries among patients in a hospital setting can and should be avoided not only for the patient but also for the financial stability of the hospital. In most hospitals if a patient develops a pressure injury after admission to the hospital, then all associated costs to care for that injury is the responsibility of the hospital. By implementing a turning schedule, we can help decrease preventable pressure injuries.
Proposed Evidence-Based Practice Change
Discuss the link between the PICOT question, the research articles, and the nursing practice problem you identified. Include relevant details and supporting explanation and use that information to propose evidence-based practice changes.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines, An abstract is not required.
Research Critiques and PICOT Question Guidelines Final Draft
Use this document to organize the content from your four studies into your final draft.
Quantitative and Quantitative Studies
1. Summary of studies. Include problem, significance to nursing, purpose, objective, and research question.
How do these two articles support the nurse practice issue you chose?
1. Discuss how these articles will be used to answer your PICOT question.
2. Describe how the interventions and comparison groups in the articles compare to those identified in your PICOT question.
Method of Study:
1. State the methods of the articles you are comparing and describe how they are different.
2. Consider the methods you identified in your chosen articles and state one benefit and one limitation of each method.
Results of Study
1. Summarize the key findings of each of the studies into a comprehensive summary.
2. What are the implications of the four studies you chose in nursing practice?
1. Discuss two ethical consideration in conducting research.
2. Describe how the researchers in the four articles you choose took these ethical considerations into account while performing their research.
1. What are the anticipated outcomes for your PICOT question?
2. How do the outcomes of the four articles you chose compare to your anticipated outcomes?