U.S. Nursing Workforce
Refer to this data on the U.S. Nursing Workforce: Trends in Supply and Education, Section 1 the Registered Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse Workforce from the Department of Health and Human Services.
1. What percentage of states has fewer than 900 registered nurses per 100,000 in population? Does the collection of states represented by this percentage generally represent a specific region of the country? If so, which region might this be; if not, why not?
2. How many states have a number of registered nurses per 100,000 in their workforce in the range of 1,100-1,248?
3. Which age range has the highest number of registered nurses working, according to Census 2000? According to ACS 08-10?
4. Approximately what percentage of the registered nursing workforce is 61 or older, according to Census 2000? According to ACS 08-10?
5. In which setting(s) did the estimated number of registered nurses more than double?
6. Overall, how do the graphs of the age distributions for the RN workforce and the LPN workforce compare?
7. Describe 2 additional pieces of information that you can read from the data displays.